Any vehicle that is experiencing a problem with its engine may display several different symptoms. These symptoms can be present in a variety of ways, such as noises, vibrations, or colorful exhaust smoke. Any excessive amount of exhaust emission is a clear indicator that there is a problem with your engine. You can determine the problem depending on the color of the exhaust smoke. As a driver of a heavy-duty vehicle or truck, it is important to recognize a problem while out on the road and have a service that can meet your large needs.
What Different Colored Exhaust Smoke Means
- Light or Thin White Exhaust Smoke: Normal
- Light or thin white exhaust smoke is typically water vapor. You’ll notice it the first time you start your truck, especially if it’s a cold day. This happens because condensation naturally collects in the exhaust system.
- Blue or Gray Exhaust Smoke: Not normal
- Blue or gray exhaust smoke means there’s likely an oil leak and that your engine is burning oil. The leak could be caused by several issues like leaking valve seals, damaged piston rings, or worn cylinder walls.
- Black Exhaust Smoke: Not normal
- Black exhaust smoke can appear when the vehicle is burning too much fuel. This could be caused by a clogged air filter, malfunctioning fuel injection system, a blocked manifold, or a variety of other issues. It would be best to have your vehicle checked out by a professional.
- Persistent, Milky White/Gray Exhaust Smoke: Not Normal
- A steady stream of thick white or gray exhaust smoke coming from your tailpipe could mean there’s a leaking head gasket. Heavy white or gray exhaust smoke pouring from your tailpipe could also mean a cracked block or cylinder head. Both are very serious problems that should be addressed quickly. Waiting too long could cost you more money than it should.
What To Do When Your Exhaust Smoke Changes Color
If you have any exhaust smoke that is abnormal, it is important to either pull over to a safe area on the road or go to your nearest heavy-duty truck repair shop. Even if you believe that you can fix the problem yourself, it is better to contact a towing or repair service to avoid making the problem worse. Contacting someone to help is also better for your safety and those around you. In Dallas, TX, and the surrounding area, you can contact Massey Towing and Truck Repair for any heavy hauling or truck repair needs.
Heavy Hauling Services and Repair in Dallas, TX
It is important to pay attention to the visual cues when there is a problem occurring within your vehicle, such as excessive and colorful exhaust smoke. If your vehicle is experiencing any issues and you need engine repair in Dallas, TX, or the surrounding area, be sure to give Massey Towing and Truck Repair a call today. Our team is equipped with decades of knowledge and experience to help you with any issue you may run into while on the road. We also have cutting-edge gear for any heavy hauling or truck repair needs. Contact us at 214-393-6849 to request an appointment for heavy hauling or check our website out today.