When heading out on the road, you do not expect anything to go wrong. Similar to the human body, a truck has multiple systems that work together. One of the most intricate mechanisms of your truck is the transmission. The transmission controls the distribution of power created by the motor to the tires. If the truck transmission fails, your truck will not be able to get any power to the wheels. You will not be able to go anywhere if that happens so it is important to be able to identify warning signs.
Five Symptoms of Failing Truck Transmission
- Strange Liquid
- A transmission has its own designated fluid. It is designed to lubricate and make sure all the gears are spinning smoothly and synchronized. If you see any red fluid leaking from under your truck, your truck needs to be serviced. If you fail to fix the problem in time, you can get a blown transmission.
- Strange Smells
- Another indicator is an unusual smell from under your truck. Any burning-like smell from your truck should automatically raise red flags. There may be a serious buildup of sludge inside of the gearbox. Do not even attempt to drive your vehicle until the problem is fixed.
- Transmission Slipping
- Trucks with either automatic or manual transmission both have a clutch system that will separate and engage new gears. Over time the clutch system will wear down and the transmission system will start to slip when changing into the next gear. These issues can and will get worse to the point where the transmission seizes and does not engage.
- Transmission Warning Light
- While out on the road, it is always good to notice if any warning lights come on. If your check engine light turns on it could be that your transmission fluid is either low or is burnt out. Allowing for it to continue will lead to your transmission blowing or seizing up.
- Grinding or Abnormal Sounds
- Both automatic and manual transmission have unique sounds when they start to have issues. For an automatic transmission, you may hear a humming, whining, or buzzing sound. For an automatic transmission, you will also feel that every gear is wobbling into place. With a manual transmission, you will hear and feel your truck grind when you switch gears.
What to Do If Your Transmission Fails
If you ever run into a failing truck transmission, do not panic you are not in a life or death situation as long as your brakes work. When your truck transmission fails while driving, you will no longer be able to accelerate. If you ever experience this it is important to turn on your emergency lights, pull over, and call a towing service immediately. In the Dallas Fort Worth area, you can call Massey Towing and Truck Service for any issue you may experience on the road.
Massey Towing and Truck Repair Dallas, TX
At Massey Towing and Truck Service, we are available 24/7 to help with truck repairs or come to tow your truck in the Dallas, TX area. If you experience a failing transmission, we can come out with a tow truck to pick up your vehicle. Call today for any truck or towing needs in Dallas or the surrounding area.